#MoreofPLUS – Size Diversity in Entertainment
68.5% of adults in America are overweight or obese –
Yet less than 1% of lead characters in film and tv are plus size!
Because of the significant lack of plus size representation within the media, PLUS+ has launched the #MoreofPLUS – Advocating for Size Diversity in Entertainment. This campaign encourages decision makers in the entertainment industries to create more opportunities for plus size talent, informs the community of the available opportunities, provides entertainment industry skills based training, as well as encourage plus size talent to pursue their dreams.
The Size Diversity Challenge
Art imitates Life – But NOT when it comes to size diversity in entertainment! 68.5% of adults in America are overweight or obese – Yet less than 1% of lead characters in film and tv are plus size talent.
Lack of Size Diversity Effects
- According to (NEDA) Natl Eating Disorder Association impossible standards of beauty (lack of size diversity) in media contributes to the development of body dissatisfaction and a drive for thinness (Not a drive to be healthy – but a drive to be thin) which is one of the most well know risk factors for eating disorders
- Encourage decision makers in the entertainment industry to create more opportunities for plus talent (use hashtag to bring awareness)
- Host Entertainment Industry Prep Workshops for the community (acting, singing, ent tech, auditioning, etc)
- Share various talent casting calls and entertainment opportunities
- Host annual film festival encouraging filmmakers to submit films utilizing plus size talent
- Host a Talent showcase
How You can Help
- In Social Media Share photos/Videos of your favorite plus size talent (and why) using the hashtag #MoreofPLUS, tag @PlusPositivity in your posts and we will share the best responses!
- Nominate your favorite plus size celeb/person of influence to be featured in a #MoreofPLUS article